Take control of what I say, O LORD,
and guard my lips.
Don't let me drift toward evil
or take part in acts of wickedness.
Don't let me share in the delicacies
of those who do wrong.
Take control of what I say, O LORD, and guard my lips.
Psalm 39:1
I said to myself, "I will watch what I do
and not sin in what I say.
I will hold my tongue
when the ungodly are around me." (see all Psalm 39)
Proverbs 13:3
Those who control their tongue will have a long life;
Opening your mouth can ruin everything.
Proverbs 21:23
Watch your tongue and keep your mouth shut,
and you will stay out of trouble.
Psalm 34:12-13
Does anyone want to live a life
that is long and prosperous?
Then keep your tongue from speaking evil
and your lips from telling lies! (see all Psalm 34)
James 1:26
If you claim to be religious but don't control your tongue, you are fooling yourself and your religion is worthless. (see all James 1)
James 3:5-8
In the same way, the tongue is a small thing that makes great speeches.
But a tiny spark can set a great forest on fire. And among all the parts of the body, the tongue is a flame of fire. It is a whole world of wickedness, corrupting your entire body. It can set your whole life on fire, for it is set on fire by hell itself.
People can tame all kinds of animals, birds,reptiles, and fish, but no one can tame the tongue. It is restless and evil, full of deadly poison.
(see all James 3)
1 Peter 2:21-23
For God called you to do good, even if it means suffering, just as Christ suffered for you. He is your example, and you must follow in his steps.
He never sinned,
nor ever deceived anyone.
He did not retaliate when he was insulted,
nor threaten revenge when he suffered.
He left his case in the hands of God,
who always judges fairly. (see all 1 Peter 2)
(parentheses are mine) Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living
Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation.
Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Carol Stream, Illinois
60188. All rights reserved. Limited to 15 verses per post.
No comments:
Post a Comment